This article has been written in conjunction with Employland, giving you a thorough guide around the process for recognition in Germany of your qualifications gained abroad.

Employland is an internet platform available in both German and English, through which international professionals can find work in Germany.

If requested, Employland can also help manage a foreigner’s residence and work permits.

Foreign qualification recognition in Germany is an important bureaucratic step in many cases for professionals looking to find work. However, qualification recognition, what it is, and whom it is for is not a widely known process.


Foreign qualification recognition in Germany: Guiding you through the confusion!


If you require assistance with your qualification recognition, I would be delighted to assist you further. Just drop me an email with a detailed description of how I can assist you. I will then happily provide you with an individual quotation.SaveSave


What is Qualification Recognition?


Qualification recognition is a process by which a professional’s qualification (education, training, work experience, certificates, etc.) is compared to its German reference qualification in order to evaluate whether the foreign qualification is equivalent to the German qualification for the same profession. If so, the professional is granted proof of equivalence by the appropriate German authority, or Anerkennungsstelle, a prerequisite to exercise certain professions in Germany.


Which Professions Require Qualification Recognition?


Before diving into how to go about foreign qualification recognition in Germany, you should first know if you even need them recognized in the first place.

In Germany, every regulated profession requires qualification recognition for foreign professionals.

Regulated professions include (and this is not an exhaustive list):

  • Medical doctor
  • Nurse
  • Lawyer
  • Pharmacist
  • Teacher
  • Psychotherapist
  • Food chemist

Without recognition of your qualifications, you cannot work in these professions in the same capacity as you could in your home country.

There are also “partially” regulated professions, such as engineer and architect: Holding the title is regulated – but exercising the job is not.

This means if you are an engineer or an architect, you may apply for jobs and work in Germany without having your foreign qualifications recognized, but you are not entitled to hold or use the professional title. In order to hold the professional title in Germany, you need to have your qualifications recognized.

Finally, immigration law interlocks with recognition law, so be aware of this:

If you are a third-country i.e. non-EU or EEA national and your profession is a vocational training profession (non-academic) in Germany, then you need to have your qualifications recognized.

Even if you are pursuing a non-regulated profession (where generally a recognition is not mandatory) you need recognition: A third-country national wanting to exercise a non-academic profession in Germany can only receive a residence and work permit for Germany once his qualifications are recognized.