Of the myriad of things you will need to deal with during your first weeks after arrival, health insurance in Germany will probably be THE most confusing task as a newcomer.
So, this is a topic which has lots of facets and nuances.
We’ve therefore published separate articles which cover:
- What to consider when choosing between public or private health insurance
- How to approach this is you’re a Freelancer or Self-Employed person (there are different rules)
This article will tackle everything in the box below!
Note that we don’t cover incoming health insurance here for those entering the country on a job seeker visa, or those seeking to apply for a residence permit for self-employment (the “freelancer visa”) from within Germany.
The German Healthcare System Explained
This article will give you a thorough grasp of:
– The major differences in the German healthcare system vs. healthcare in the UK and the US
– The eligibility criteria for private health insurance
– What does health insurance in Germany typically cover?
– How contributions work (Employer vs. the Individual)
– The process of visiting a doctor in Germany
– Making appointments to see specialists
– Common watch-outs and pitfalls
– A brief summary of positives and negatives of the German system
What Options Are Available To Me?
Freelancers & Self-Employed
You automatically have the option of whether to take public health insurance or whether to opt out and take a private health insur